Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Clearwater Estate Planning & Probate Attorney
Call today for an appointment Get The Help You Deserve 727-781-5357
Clearwater Estate Planning & Probate Attorney > Largo Guardianship Attorney

Largo Guardianship Attorney

When we are children, our parents typically act as our legal guardians. They have the authority to make decisions regarding our care and property until we reach the age of 18. Of course, there are situations where both parents die before the child reaches majority. And even as adults, there may come a time when we are physically or mentally incapacitated to the point we can no longer make sound decisions for ourselves.

In these situations, a Florida court may need to step in and appoint a guardian. These are often sensitive legal proceedings that involve conflict between family members. A qualified Largo guardianship attorney can help you through this difficult period. Attorney William Rambaum is a Florida Bar Board Certified Elder Law Specialist with over 35 years experience in representing both potential guardians and their potential wards. He understands that guardianship is a sensitive matter that requires skilled, compassionate representation.

How Adult Guardianships Work in Florida

Not all adult guardianships in Florida are contested matters. Indeed, an adult can voluntarily seek, or consent to, the appointment of a guardian on their behalf. But if the adult does not consent, or they contest the allegation they are incapacitated, an involuntary guardianship proceeding may be necessary.

Any competent adult can petition a Florida court to appoint a guardian for another adult they believe is incapacitated. The court must then appoint a three-member examining committee to evaluate the alleged incapacitated adult and report back to the judge, who will then hold a formal competency hearing.

Even if the judge ultimately decides an adult is legally incompetent, however, the court must still explore any less-restrictive alternatives before imposing a guardianship. The guardianship itself may be limited in scope. For example, the court may decide the guardian needs help with some of their finances, but is otherwise competent to manage their other life decisions. Along these lines, Florida courts may appoint a guardian of the property, a guardian of the person, or both as circumstances warrant.

In many guardianship cases, the guardian is a relative or close family member of the ward. The court may also appoint a professional guardian, someone who is specially trained and licensed to manage other people’s affairs. Regardless of who serves as guardian, they remain subject to the appointing court’s jurisdiction. The guardian must periodically report back to the judge on the state of the ward and the guardianship estate. And the court can remove a guardian–or terminate the guardianship outright–based on a change in circumstances.

Reach Out to a Largo Guardianship Lawyer Today

If you are considering the possible need to place a loved one under guardianship, or you are the subject of an involuntary guardianship proceeding, it is imperative that you seek out expert legal advice from someone who understands this subject. If you would like to speak with a Largo guardianship attorney, call attorney William Rambaum today at 727-781-5357 to schedule an appointment.

Share This Page:

© 2017 - 2024 William Rambaum, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media. Photography by Blane Arnold.