Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
William Rambaum, PA Clearwater & Oldsmar Elder Law Attorney

Should I consider a trust or some other type of special planning for my special needs child?

View More FAQ Videos


You absolutely should consider a trust if you have a disabled child that’s receiving public benefits like supplemental security income or medicaid, because if that child receives property directly, they’ll probably lose their eligibility. There are special programs, special statutory exemptions that would allow you to leave property to a child in the form of the special needs trust that will allow them to maintain their eligibility for those programs and still benefit from the property.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation